soap aff

Soap.com Brand Banner

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Where's the (cheap) Beef? + Day 8 and 9 of the Spending Freeze.


Do you have the Joy of Football coupon book from Safeway?  If you do, you'll find a coupon in it good for $2.00 off any Rancher's Reserve meat.  The only fine print on this coupon is that you must purchase 1 item per coupon.  This means you can do like I did and take that little coupon and buy some meat priced for $2.04 and pay only 4 cents!  Now, I did attempt to purchase a package that was priced at $1.97, thinking they would just price adjust the coupon, but that was a no go.  Also, for some reason only 1 coupon went thru at checkout so I had to go tot customer service to get it corrected.  (normally the clerk would have fixed it, but my gal was in a hurry and not willing to fix it).  I ended up using 3 coupons and got 3 packages of beef cube steak. 

 Also on my shopping list was cat food.  Not that exciting I know, but I took a chance and bought a different, non- pet store only- mega expensive food.  You see, my 3.5 year old cat is silly, and thinks she can only have kitten food, when we tried to switch when she was 1 and 2, she yaked, and yaked.  So we have continued to pay upwards of $17 for a small bag of food you can only get at a pet store.  I was dreading buying it this month, because it was going to take a huge chunk out of our tiny budget, and if we aren't eating expensive food, the cat shouldn't be either- I love you kitty, but it's only fair.  So I took the leap and bought a bag of kitten food at Safeway- on sale for $4.49.  So far so good, Miss Gabby has not yaked! PTL.

Tonight I will be making meatballs to have with dinner.  We have had a few more meatless nights that normal lately, so we are all craving some good ol' red meat.  I like making meatballs, because you can stretch the meat by adding filler like bread crumbs or crackers.   Speaking of dinner- I better go get crackn'.

And in other news- Hubs had an interview today!  And they called to come back tomorrow to meet with more of the team.  We are crossing our fingers.

Recap of Spending Freeze
Day 1 = $0
Day 2 = $10.45 (gas)
Day 3 = $0
Day 4 = $10.02 (groceries)
Day 5 = $0
Day 6 = $12.29 (gas and milk)
Day 7 = $0

Day 8 = $5.40 (meat and cat food)
Day 9 = $10.50 (gas for hubs to get to interview!)

So we have  $51.34 left for the month 


Question of the day-
What is your favorite way to make a little meat go further?


Kimberly

2 comments:

  1. Stir fries, a lot of vegies and some little slivers of meat or even some mince. Also pies, you can make great pies with some stock, vegies and only a tiny amount of meat

    ReplyDelete