soap aff

Soap.com Brand Banner

Monday, February 7, 2011

Great Chewy Granola Bar Recipe + Day 6 and 7 of the Spending Freeze

How is everyone today?  Recovering well from Superbowl parties I hope.  We had a nice time at my sister's house.  She has 3, almost 4 kiddos- so when our families get together it is a bit like a preschool with the addition of 1 junior helper (my 10 yr old).  Hubs and I are not big sports fans, but we do like to watch the Superbowl, and have fun with family and eat snacks.  Ah snacks, junk food, greasy bits of yuminess...   our taste buds love you, but alas, our bodies reject you.  This was not always the case, a day of chips and whatnots didn't use to torture us so, but as I have scaled back the cooking from a box, and buying less pre-fab food, we are no longer used to processing all the yuck.  So while Hubs felt terrible all day today, I felt bad for him, but I am also happy, because it means I have been feeding my family better.

One of my inspirations in feeding my family better is Blogger Laura over at Heavenly Homemakers. 
Like me, she used to be a coupon maven, but if you are not careful, that can mean feeding your family lots of processed foods (as they go on sale alot).  in recent years she has really focused on feeding her family whole, quality foods and she makes nearly everything from scratch.  While that amazes me, I have a more middle of the road approach for my family.  So I will learn from her, and so many others, and tweak things to fit my family.  Which brings me to today's recipe.  We were out of granola bars, and they are a staple snack in our house, so instead of running to the store, I tried one of Laura's recipes.
 Homemade Chewy Granola Bars (without corn syrup!)
1/2 cup peanut butter or sunbutter
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil (or another oil of your choice) I used vegetable oil
1 cup oats
1 cup total of any combination of:  sesame seeds, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, mini chocolate chips  - I used 1/2 chocolate chips, 1/2 rice krispies in the 1st batch and 1/2 Special K granola cereal and 1/2 Rice Krispies in the other


melt the 1st 3 ingredients together, remove from heat and stir in the rest, spread out in a baking dish and chill until firm.


Very tasty!  and I estimate, these cost me about 1/2 of what it would cost to buy a box at the store.


-----------
As for the spending freeze, yesterday we put $10 of gas in the van to get to my sister's house, and picked up a gallon of milk on the way home for $2.29.  We stayed home and spent nothing today.


Recap of Spending Freeze
Day 1 = $0
Day 2 = $10.45 (gas)
Day 3 = $0
Day 4 = $10.02 (groceries)
Day 5 = $0
Day 6 = $12.29 (gas and milk)
Day 7 = $0


So we have  $67.24 left for the month 

Have any great snack recipes you feed your kids?  I would love to read them, we always are in need of good snacks around here.

Kimberly



No comments:

Post a Comment